I am no expert at how to cope or deal with anxiety but being a sufferer of anxiety for years now I thought I could share a few of my tips.
- Talk to someone. This is key, I’ve had various different counsellors and therapists and now I understand my anxiety. Whether it’s a friend or family member or even asking your doctor to refer you to someone who has expertise in anxiety, just take a step and talk to someone.
- Use apps, for example an app called ‘Calm’ is incredible. There’s a section where you can mediate and I have used this more than the social medias on my phone! I’ve used this on flights, in bed, out shopping, in school and literally anywhere. Also on the app there’s sleep stories which have helped me sleep on numerous occasions.
- There is another app called ‘Rain Rain’, this is pretty self-explanatory and is literally just rain. I use this every single night without fail to help me sleep. I find I get quite anxious at night and in the evenings and I just set a timer on it and within an hour I will be asleep. Also the app called ‘Headspace.
- Get to the root of your anxiety, I have recently done this with my clinical pscychologist and it’s improved my anxiety so much. I wrote out cycles of what makes me anxious, what I do when I’m anxious and also what I can do when I become anxious. I have these three cycles in my drawer and if I need a reminder then I just sit down and read them for a minute. I’m not going to share mine as obviously they’re personally but if you do struggle with anxiety and want help either creating your own cycles or a copy of mine then just comment below and we’ll work something out.
- Make your atmosphere a safe place. My room is my safe place, I have a mesh sheet round my bed which I can completely cover myself in. When I was at school it would either be a toilet or the behaviour room. Make your surroundings as comfortable and cosy as possible.
- My final tip is to distract yourself, whether it’s music or a youtube video, colouring, having a nap or using one of the apps I have mentioned just do something to occupy your mind and you’ll become a lot calmer.
Thank you so much for reading, if you want to contact me then please feel free to. I am happy to give out my email or help anyone.
Insta: @youngandkindareckless (Blog) @_rachelcrocker (Personal)