So I have nearly been going to the gym a year in November which is crazy!! I normally don’t really shout it out everywhere or tell people I go to the gym, when I train I train alone and its quite personal I guess. I go to my local Snap Fitness gym. It costs about £30 a month I think which I can just about justify haha!! The gym is pretty new so all the equipment is new and lovely.
When I first joined the gym I couldn’t jog, run or lunge or do most things because of my knees, I got set up and an instructor gave me a routine to get started. I did this routine for months and slowly I realised that I can jog and it’s incredible to think now that over the time of a year I have so much strength in my knees. I obviously wouldn’t go and run a marathon and I still have to be careful but they are so much stronger it’s incredible!
Onto my routine
SO I mix my routine up a lot but I just thought I’d give you a basic overview of what I generally do.
- Treadmill, I will roughly do about 8 minutes on the treadmill and do a mixture or jogging/fast walking to sprinting. As I mentioned about my knees I don’t over do it.
- 4 km cycle, this really tests my legs and I feel like jelly after this!!
- Synchro/ Crossover Excite Machine, I will do from 5-10 minutes on this depending on previous cardio I have done.
- Rowing, I bloody love rowing!! I row for 1000m and time myself each time, I average to do it in 6 minutes.
- Chest Press – 4 x 10 reps with a 30 second break in-between (15 KG)
- Leg Press – 3 x 10 reps with a 30 second break in-between (20 KG)
- Leg Extension – 3 x 10 reps with a 30 second break in-between (15 KG)
- Abdominal Crunch – 3 x 10 reps with a 30 second break in-between (15 KG)
- Low Row – 3 x 10 reps with a 30 second break in-between (20 KG)
I DO THIS TWICE.
- Lunge with kettle bells – 5 KG
- Squat with kettle bells- 5 KG
- Sit ups
- I don’t know the technical term but using a ball and twisting – 15 KG
Please note I don’t do all of this in one session!
MY TOP TIPS FOR GOING TO THE GYM
- Take and use headphones and have an upbeat playlist.
- Always take a cold bottle of water, it means you’ll drink more.
- Talk to people, this is one I don’t do but I can totally see the benefits!
- Go with a buddy, you’ll motivate each other to work out and it’s someone to talk to.
- If you’re nervous or embarressed of working out in front of people then ask or find out when the gym is quiet. I find 10 am on a Sunday is good and about 10.30 am on weekdays.
Thank you for reading!
Insta: @youngandkindareckless (Blog) @_rachelcrocker (Personal)